On July 18, 2023, the Supreme Court issued an Order refining some of the Landlord Tenant reforms that it authorized in 2021. We will highlight the major changes below:
1. Effective September 1, 2023. Mandatory Case Management Conferences will conclude. Landlords and tenants are still obligated to attend Case Management Conferences through September 1, 2023.
2. Filing Requirements for Landlords. After September 1, 2023, Landlords will still be required to file the Certification of Lease and Registration Statement as well as the Landlord Case Information Statement. However, as of September 1, 2023, all of these documents must now be filed at the time the Complaint is filed.
3. Rent Control Statement. In addition, the Supreme Court is also requiring Landlords to submit a copy of the Rent Control Statement – if requested by the Court. We are in the process of ascertaining if this will be the Landlord’s Rent Registration Statement or if it is something else.
4. Tenant Case Information Statement. Tenants remain obligated to file a Tenant Case Information Statement.
5. Trial Scheduling. Trials will not be scheduled until at least five (5) weeks in advance of the trial date and a conference will occur prior to trial on the trial date for purposes of case management and settlement.
6. Adjournments for Rental Assistance Applications. The Court will also continue to adjourn cases on the trial date for a period of 60 days or until the application is resolved if a party provides documentation of a pending application for rental assistance.
For a copy of the Court’s Order, Click HERE.
This information is provided solely for information purposes. It should not be construed as legal advice on any specific matter and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided herein may not be applicable to all situations and should not be acted upon without specific legal advice based upon particular circumstances. Each legal matter is unique, and prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
Provided courtesy of Feinstein Raiss Kelin Booker & Goldstein LLC is a law firm that concentrates its practice in real estate. The Firm represents a diverse clientele, which includes individuals, owners, property managers, builders and developers. It has an established reputation for its capabilities in handling commercial real estate transactions as well as landlord tenant law and commercial litigation matters. The Firm’s attorneys are accomplished advocates in both the boardroom and the courtroom. For additional information please visit Feinstein Raiss Kelin Booker & Goldstein LLC (frkbg.com)